Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Book Cover Design p. 303


This was a fun assignment to do as a (previous) English teacher. I liked how the assignment asked you to basically pull in everything you learned from the text. I thought a lot about my images, the use of color and black and white and how they contrast one another (thinking that the desire for the bully contrasts her typcial choice in men [or teenagers if it is an adolescent novel]). I also thought a lot about the font. I like contrasting the first letter of the font and I feel the black and white font provides some "darkness" that may acoompany the story line. In the end I feel it looks too "simple" but I like this. I do not like book covers that are too busy and end up saying nothing. I am hoping this cover refelcts a darkness that I feel would be in a story with a title like this one.

2 comments:

  1. Tyler, I love the silhouettes of the people, almost saying bullies can be anyone, don't ever be surprised! I also agree with not liking very busy book covers. The image of the girl on the right hand side is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also chose to do this activity. I really like the blocked out font -- the white on black. I think this helps make the title and the author's name standout. I ALSO USED SILHOUETTES!!! For some reason it was the first thing that popped into my head!! I agree that having such constrasting font colors helps emphasize her personality ... I'm curious as to why you chose the fonts you did. Did they evoke a certain emotion for you? My only suggestion for the fonts is to make your author font size a little smaller so that it doesn't take away from the power of the title.

    I agree with Michelle that having the girl and guy's pictures on the side are subtle, but powerful messages. I didn't really get it at first, but I definitely see it now! The images would work even better if they weren't stretched, I would suggest finding larger images that are high resolution or at least the height of your "book cover". Just curious: why did you choose 816x1056px? Also, what program did you use to make this?

    I can see this being an adult book or a YA book. Great job!

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete