Thursday, February 23, 2012

Storyboarding

In the six storyboard images you see many rules were considered. For example, Krause discusses the quality of the images. While it was difficult to storyboard my multimedia plan because I felt it was so computer based, it presented the challenge of creating images that viewed working on a computer differently so that they were images that were “informative and relevant” and “aesthetically and emotionally pleasing” (Krause, p. 189). I’m not sure if the use of dialogue or thought “bubbles” are a typical part of story boards but I needed the viewer to get better insight what was going on in the image. This also essential became an exercise in cropping. Krause notes that good cropping “eliminates the unnecessary,” (p. 192) something that I was trying to do in images 2 and 4 and do well, I think, in story board image number 4. Golombisky and Hagen discuss the POV or point of view. This also came into consideration with my storyboarding. At times a capture a camera angle that is from the side, the back, or the front, and, in one instance (image #5), it appears that the camera angle is from above. Golombisky and Hagen note that shooting form above can create “symbolic insignificance and powerless” and that shooting from below creates and “opposite effect” (p. 173). However, I wasn’t sure how to capture a groups working a round a table by shooting form a floor angle. Not being an artist, I struggled with drawing some of the angles that I wanted. In image one I wanted to do a 45 degree angle which I did with the computer screen but could not do with the person, hence the awkwardness of that first image. I also realized when I scanned the images I drew they were empty of any shading, except for the plant. This resulted in a lack of “dramatic effect” and an absence of the principles of “contrast” (p. 176). I certainly learned how storyboarding can bring together many of the key principles of graphic design and the use of multimedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment